HMRC will soon be withdrawing its existing Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system on 30th September and will be replacing it with the new Customs Declaration Service (CDS) for ALL Import entries.
CHIEF will no longer be accepting new declarations after this date.
In order for GPL Customs to continue submitting declarations on your behalf, and to ensure your goods can be imported and customs cleared without interruption, you will need to have completed the following steps:
- Register for a Government Gateway account
Most business will already have a Government Gateway account to access their personal or business Tax Account. You should use this account to access the Customs Declaration Service (CDS).
If you do not have a Government Gateway account, click on the following link to register: HMRC Services: sign in or register
- Apply for an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number
You need an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number that starts with GB. Most businesses moving goods in and out of the UK already have one, but if not, you can apply for one via the HMRC website here.
- Subscribe to the Customs Declaration Service (CDS)
All Importers will need to be registered for CDS. You can do this here.
- Set up a NEW Direct Debit for Duty Deferment Account
If you have a Duty Deferment account in CHIEF, you will need to set up a new Direct Debit with HMRC for use with CDS: Set up a Direct Debit for a duty deferment account on the Customs Declaration Service.
- Authorise GPL Customs to use your deferment account
To enable GPL Customs to use your deferment account on your declarations, you MUST provide permission to do so. Authorisation can be made through your CDS Finance Dashboard via your Government Gateway account under deferment options. Please authorise GP Global Logistics Limited, using GB EORI number GB191846085000.
- Decide on which payment method you wish to use, if not using a Duty Deferment Account
Cash Accounts. These replace the Flexible Accounting System (FAS), and you’ll be set up with one once you’ve registered for the Customs Declaration Service: Use a Cash Account
If using a Cash Account, you will need to provide authorisation for GPL Customs to use your account on your behalf. You must use the ‘view your customs financial accounts’ in the Customs Declaration Service if you want to:
– add an authority for someone to use your cash account number
– amend a standing authority
Immediate payment by Bacs, CHAPS, Online or by telephone banking. Payments received via Debit/Credit Cards, Corporate Credit cards or Cheque: Pay for imports declared using CDS
For further reading, please see attached the Customs Declaration Services Finance Guide.
You can also view the Financials Dashboard by accessing any of the links below.
Go to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-your-postponed-import-vat-statement and select the green button ‘Start Now’ and Sign in on the next page
Go to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/use-a-cash-account-for–cds-declarations and select the link at the bottom of the page ‘View Your Customs Financial Accounts’ and Sign in on the next page
Go to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-your-import-vat-certificates and select the link ‘Get your certificates if you use the Customs Declaration Service’
HMRC have provided various online documents and YouTube videos providing further details and assistance:
- How to subscribe to the Customs Declaration Service – YouTube
- How to set up a Direct Debit instruction on the Customs Declaration Service (one signature) – YouTube
- How to set up a Direct Debit instruction on the Customer Declaration Service (multiple signatures) – YouTube
- How to set up a standing authority on the Customs Declaration Service (one signature). – YouTube
- How to use the secure file upload service on the Customs Declaration Service – YouTube
- Customs Declaration Service communication pack
- Customs Declaration Service Toolkit
If your company does not complete the required steps for CDS we will not be able to submit customs clearances on your behalf once we complete the transition to the new system.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us and we’ll do our best to assist.
Global Logistics Coverage
We boast a full coverage for all logistics operations, striving to open up new markets and connections across the world. Our Customs and Operations Centre is located in Newport, UK, with a presence in 20 other UK and 3 European port locations, where we have knowledgeable teams of logistics experts on hand and ready to help with your shipping requirements.Connect with us